Just a half lie

Filed under: by: Chris

I've told myself (and others, even quite recently) that I wouldn't switch to Blogger until a good chunk of my friends did. Well, that hasn't happened yet, but I'm also not really intending on switching completely over just yet, so I'm only kind of half lying. And that's something I specialize in.

I figure I can keep my two journals separate. In case anyone is itching to read about my day or anything like that, my LiveJournal is still going strong. I may still do crossposts of things, but I'm thinking that I'm going to draw a line between them and make this more topic based and that more journaly. Eventually, as I get to be old (like the majority of the people who will immediately find and follow this blog) I may switch over completely.

I'm always kind of impressed with people who do "traditional" blog formats, just because it seems so alien of an online writing style for me. I've been blocked into writing in a journal style for... wow, the past five years, and I feel like I might just need a different medium to break out of my habit of writing about things that way. It'll be good to sort of stretch my legs as a writer. I suppose I owe a lot of my writing style to my constant journaling over the years, though I shudder when I look back on some of my earlier stylistic choices. If I ever decide again that apostrophes don't belong in informal writing, please whack me across the face with my own laptop.

I didn't really plan to have a topic in this post, but is seems to be evolving into me reminiscing about my recorded past.

As long as I'm at it, I may as well remark on how useful having a journal has been. I can recognize events based on the titles and approximate dates of entries, so I can search through for specific moments in time. On a creepy note, I've been able to sort of psychoanalyze myself half a decade ago, and realize that all of the internets are able to as well. It's sort of been my policy to keep everything public, which has bitten me in the ass sometimes, but I also feel like I've affected the lives of my stalkers to some degree. I'm not entirely sure of how well the bittersweet feeling of making a difference in your stalkers' lives can be translated, but it sort of goes along with my belief that if I'm doing something entertaining, someone may as well be watching.

And now I have to mess with this thing so it doesn't feel like I'm just running on the factory default settings.

3 comments:

On April 1, 2009 at 6:47 AM , chrispy said...

I like the look of it so far. Is that main header a default? I've never seen it before.

 
On April 1, 2009 at 7:45 AM , Megan said...

Well, as one of the mentioned "old people" I am thrilled you've succumbed. Also, did Chris Brown really come to campus, or is Facebook lying to me again?

 
On April 1, 2009 at 8:13 AM , Chris said...

I just looked for some blogger templates on google, and this is one of the ones that both fit my style and didn't screw everything up.


And yes, Chris Brown did come to UMW last night. In fact, our gym is featured on TMZ.