Things I learned in the last 16 hours

Filed under: by: Chris

Even when not in school, I learn a lot, though I very rarely quantify it. So without any further ado, the things I learned in the last 16 hours:

1. When the weather is bad, people show up to work earlier just so they can take the close up spots in the parking lot, making you have to park in the back lot.

2. In order to avoid staring, people will pass by you up to (and including) three times in one day without recognizing you. Then they will suddenly realize who you are and blame their lack of being observant on a haircut they've been exposed to for a full week already.

3. When the internet goes down, people have no idea what to do with their lives. They will ultimately resort to doing things primitively. Instead of sending out emails to try and schedule something that will take a half a day to organize, people will *gasp* walk to the person they need to talk to and get it done in a matter of minutes.

4. When you call and I explain that the number was just forwarded to me in case of emergency contact, and that I couldn't help you, and that the person who could help you would be back if you called back in a half hour... it does NOT mean that if you call me back in a minute and a half I'll magically be a different person or be able to help you. Nor it it the case after three minutes or five minutes. Damn right I stopped picking up the phone when I saw your number.

5. When caught dropping off into sleep at 2:00 PM, the correct greeting is not "Good morning!" That is, in fact, a Very Bad Greeting.

6. Even if you are actively working on something for hours on end, your supervisor will choose to walk through whenever you choose to take a break to let your eyes refocus or brain resolidify.

7. Beating the computer not once, but twice in chess is incredibly satisfying.

8. A pack of socks does not cost $80. It costs significantly less. Always check to make sure your transaction goes smoothly and nothing is amiss, and if it does, address the problem immediately and with patience.

9. Wal-Mart employees with expect the worst from you when mistakes arise. If you show patience and understanding, they will be flabbergasted.

10. As you play the Sims 3 more and experience real life less, the two slowly become one. This isn't good and I need to get out this week.

0 comments: